HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Bills Fan Struggling To Move on
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Bills Fan Struggling To Move on
Posted by: Deeply Conflicted ()
Date: December 09, 2008 09:05AM

This is very, very hard for me, but here I am. I have been a Buffalo Bills fan for my entire life, and a rabid one at that, but since Ralph Wilson announced last year he was going to begin playing games in Toronto and will happily sell the team to an outsider who wants to relocate the team after he dies, I've had a really hard time being the fan I used to be, so much so it's put questions into my heart about why I should be rooting for Ralph Wilson's team anymore at all.

I've been living in Florida now for almost 20 years, and I actually felt myself so angry watching the Bills playing that game in Toronto I found myself rooting for the Dolphins as punishment for selling me out so coldly like this. It was a sickening display in that dome...like watching your wife cheat on you for 3 hours on national TV.

Well, that got me to thinking...if the owner of the team sold me out for the metrosexual city of Toronto's glitz and corporate wealth, why am I being loyal in return? I have been gradually losing my hostilities towards the Dolphins over the years anyways, to the point where I've been rooting for them to win as long as they weren't playing Buffalo for the past 2 or 3 years.

But, being angry and wanting to stop rooting for the Bills is one thing. Taking the next step and becoming a real fan of the Dolphins is another leap altogether. Can I do it? Can I really cross that bridge?

Honestly, I don't know yet. Being a fan is such an emotional ordeal, and even when you've been jilted like a worthless pile of shit by your previous lover, can you just turn it on for someone else without going through the grieving process first?

Right now that's where I am...grieving the loss of my childhood team, my most cherished memories of the city I grew up in. As much as it hurts to have your heart broken, when they've @#$%& you over and then badmouthed you in public, as Wilson has done several times, can you really with a straight face pretend everything is OK and keep cheering them on as if nothing happened...when deep down inside you know they'll just keep shitting on you and flirting with the prettier, shinier city to the north?

I'm caught in between fanhoods right now. It's like going through a messy breakup with the Bills, and seeing that where I live now is the same team I hated growing up with a passion I can't quite make sense of it yet. Still, the reasons for being a Dolphin hater are all gone. I hate them in past tense only, but now this is my home, this is the team that I have available to fill my football rooting needs, and part of me wants to jump on in...but my heart isn't ready to take that jump yet.

It's baby steps. For now I will quietly root for the Dolphins, maybe even root for them to beat the Bills, but it's a subdued interest compared to those who are Dolfans to the core.

Anyway, thank you for indulging me, and if I've pissed anyone off here I apologize. Just trying to make sense of something that is eating me up, but perhaps this was the next step I needed to make in becoming a Dolphin fan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bills Fan Struggling To Move on
Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: December 09, 2008 09:18AM

OK let Dr. Reppa council you. You are like an unhappy chick in a relation and when times are hard you start to think about how good it could be on the other side. Now you find a new person and when things are hard you jump ship again. Nah no thankyou, if you are a true fan you dont care where you are or what the team is going through you are still a fan. And if you do jump ship it is NEVER to the enemy. I live in the tristate area full of jet fans and I dont care if I live here for the next 1000 years the reppa will NEVER BE A STINKIN JET FAN!!! its dolphins or nothing. Even after a dispicable 1-15 season and 5 straight losing season I am still the Miami Reppa. Duke that will NEVER change and if you are a bills fan for 20+ years and witnessed the glory days of the no huddle offense, therman thomas, jim kelly, bruce smith, reed, and all those other stars and hall of famers you have to ride it out son...

oh by the way we kicked the crap out of you guys... again. Sorry we just had bill fans on here heckling us when you guys were 5-1 and we were 2-4 and since then they have left so I am forced to give you the cheap shot I wanted to give them...

Date: December 09, 2008 09:19AM

yours truly, The Reppa...

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: December 09, 2008 09:22AM

I felt the same way when Shula and Marino were squeazed out to make way for Jimmy Johnson/Dave Wanstedt. I got over it come game time and moved on. As mad as I have been at the Dophins over the years, I could never see myself not rooting for them. There is just too much history there.

I am thankful that I have never been a fan of the Colts, Browns, Cardinals, Rams or Raiders and had to watch the team skip town during the middle of the night.

Maybe what you have to ask yourself is "Do I root for the team and the comradery of the fans" or do I root for the owner? Are you gonna let the betrayal of "the man" deter you from what you have always known? Are you going to turn your back on the franchise because they can't make money in Buffalo?

If your answer is yes, then I can't blame you because the Bills suck!

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: December 09, 2008 09:42AM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> If your answer is yes, then I can't blame you
> because the Bills suck!

Ha Haa!!! yeah ditto that. You aint gunna get no love here buffalo... Now do us all a favor, since we kick the crap out of you guys go take it out on the jets this week and then the patsies. If you complete these tasks then you will be well on your way to being accepted into the dolphin brother hood. What can I say you gotta earn your stripes.

Posted by: ranger1 ()
Date: December 09, 2008 09:50AM

This is a bunch of horse shit. Earn your stripes? What does that mean? My buddy switched teams after like 15 years. He was a phin phan and switched to the Eagles after going to a home game were the crowd almost put him to sleep among other things.

Anyways he still secretly roots for the phins. If you want to switch then switch one less Bills fan at a home game and one more phin fan. In a few years they won't be the Buffalo Bills anyways they will be the Toronto Bills. Sucks! But true. I say welcome!

Date: December 09, 2008 10:41AM

ranger1 Wrote:
> This is a bunch of horse shit. Earn your stripes?
> What does that mean? My buddy switched teams after
> like 15 years. He was a phin phan and switched to
> the Eagles after going to a home game were the
> crowd almost put him to sleep among other things.
> Anyways he still secretly roots for the phins. If
> you want to switch then switch one less Bills fan
> at a home game and one more phin fan. In a few
> years they won't be the Buffalo Bills anyways they
> will be the Toronto Bills. Sucks! But true. I say
> welcome!

Obviously, the guy can do whatever he wishes and doesn't need our blessing but if you're gonna ask...coming from a division rival... your gonna get some crap.

Having said that...As far as I'm concerned, we don't need any more band wagon fans. We already have enough of those. Just look in the stands when idiots painted in aqua and orange, practically pee themselves congratulating Randy Moss after a TD. So who really gives a crap if some wavering Bills "fan" decides to jump ship or some other turn coat decides to become a Philly fan because he didn't get a warm and fuzzy at the game.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: December 09, 2008 10:54AM

Guys, you need to put yourself in his position. I lived in Houston for a while and of coarse never stopped loving my Phins, but I could understand how the Houston fans felt when their team moved out.

Would you expect Cleveland fans to stick with the Ravins? Hell no. Deeply, I don't blame you a bit. If the Bills do move out of town, then screw them and I welcome you aboard. If they don't well I still won't blame you for hating them as we do. At least you are picking a great team with so many great memories.

As long as the Phins stay put and don't move out and change their name, they will be my team. But if they do...hell, ain't going to happen. We got the best team in the world, period.
PHINS are BACK, Yessssss!!!thumbs up

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 09, 2008 11:29AM

I can't even process the thought of a bills fan wanting to become a phins fan all of a sudden.

We have so much hatred for each other especially in the 90s when were were going against each other in the playoffs.

If the phins were to disappear from the NFL, I'd become a fan of any team exept, the pats, jets and bills.

If i do become a fan of any other team in the afc east, you can shoot me like you shoot a horse when he breaks his leg.

Date: December 09, 2008 11:36AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> I can't even process the thought of a bills fan
> wanting to become a phins fan all of a sudden.
>
> We have so much hatred for each other especially
> in the 90s when were were going against each other
> in the playoffs.
>
> If the phins were to disappear from the NFL, I'd
> become a fan of any team exept, the pats, jets and
> bills.
>
> If i do become a fan of any other team in the afc
> east, you can shoot me like you shoot a horse when
> he breaks his leg.

well said, i would even have "some" trouble being a colts fans since they were once in the afc east... but since we really never had a rival that may be my only afc east exception.

Date: December 09, 2008 11:44AM

I'm in no-mans land...what an odd feeling. I understand all your opinions, and I'll just have to let this play out. Like Leon illuded to, when your team is in the process of dumping you for another city it is an awful feeling. Brutal. I don't wish it on my worst enemy.

Date: December 09, 2008 11:56AM

I actually feel your pain!

Date: December 09, 2008 12:18PM

so do I... let me cheer you up, 8-5!!!

Posted by: ThaFishula13 ()
Date: December 09, 2008 01:03PM

Dude, if the phins ever leave Miami I'm done with football!!!!! As much as I love this sport, it doesn't even come close to the passion I have for the Fins.
It's just everything man, the history, the game, the colors oh man the colors, I love these colors!!!!!

I only cheer for another team if it benefits us, but if not I could care less. It's the DOLPHINS only, and then you have the rest of the nfl don't care about any of them. Do you guys remember J Taylor?? screw him tooo!!! Let him dance his ass in Washington.. we get over players, but never the team.

I would hate to be in your shoes Bill's fan!!! It's all about the Fish here baby!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: BobT ()
Date: December 09, 2008 01:10PM

I have a good friend that rooted for the jets as a kid up until he moved to S Florida when he was about 22. He has been a Dolphins fan for about 12 yrs now, with a period of a year or 2 when he was transitioning from a jets fan to one of ussmileys with beer
The real fun was making him watch the 1981 AFC Championship game after he switched alliances. Funny how a game that made him misarable as a kid now brings joygrinning smiley
I still give him a hard time occasionally about it, but he's truly crossed over.

Date: December 09, 2008 02:17PM

BobT Wrote:
> I have a good friend that rooted for the jets as a
> kid up until he moved to S Florida when he was
> about 22. He has been a Dolphins fan for about 12
> yrs now, with a period of a year or 2 when he was
> transitioning from a jets fan to one of ussmileys with beer
> The real fun was making him watch the 1981 AFC
> Championship game after he switched alliances.
> Funny how a game that made him misarable as a kid
> now brings joygrinning smiley
> I still give him a hard time occasionally about
> it, but he's truly crossed over.

??? how ya boy sound being both a jet and a dolphin fan, thats like being a vegaterian that also likes to eats meat... you cant do both man you gotta pick one.

Posted by: jpippiniii ()
Date: December 09, 2008 03:42PM

Welcome deeply conflicted. Hell i dont mind. Its another phin fan added on! And Leon In Denver.. I completely understand.. I live in the houston area..

Posted by: Rgphin ()
Date: December 09, 2008 03:44PM

I fully understand too. Poor bills fan.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: December 09, 2008 05:28PM

After 20 years we have finally assimilated this BILLS fan.

He wants to jump on board the band wagon?

And to that I say sure....NEXT YEAR. Next year you can buy a shirt.

But THIS YEAR is for all of us that bleed orange and aqua. Its been too long.

My bandwagon's got room for you. But it would mean I dont get to stretch out.

"Don't tell me about the pain, show me the baby." - BP

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 09, 2008 06:17PM

20-0.
Wide Right.
No one circles the drain like the Buffalo Bills.

tongue sticking out smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue outtongue sticking out smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue outtongue sticking out smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue outtongue sticking out smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue outtongue sticking out smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue outtongue sticking out smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue outtongue sticking out smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue outtongue sticking out smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue outtongue sticking out smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue outtongue sticking out smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue outtongue sticking out smiley

Date: December 10, 2008 06:29AM

You know, the thing is I could never be a true Dolfan like you guys even after my Bills pack up and head to Toronto. Like many of you said...too much history between these teams for it to fit right, and I will always be an outsider with my Buffalo roots among the die-hard Phish Phans. I feel awkward even being at this site right now.

Still, my son is 2yo and I would like for him to enjoy the passion of rooting for a football team like I did growing up, so if there are no more Buffalo Bills, and we live here in South Fla, who else can he effectively follow as HIS team besides the Dolphins?

For his sake, I'll cheer on the Dolphins even if it lacks the intensity and devotion I gave to the Bills. That's my gift to him, and the South Florida area, as I'll be raising a Miami fan from birth, but I'll personally never love an NFL team again. I had my time, but my team relocated to Toronto and now I'm done with caring anymore.

Date: December 10, 2008 07:28AM

I just dont understand how a true fan of a team can jump ship. No matter how bad the Dolphins get....I will still be a Dolphins fan.

Obviously, he was never a true Bills fan.

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: December 10, 2008 07:28AM

Ah come on Deeply, stop the sob story. I've lived in Denver 23 years now. My son grew up the biggest Marino fan you can imagine. We moved here when he was 9. How can he still care about the Phins when everything here is about the Broncos. I'm just thankful the fans and team really are a class act. Care about them? Not!
I don't know how Curt and JC do it, living in Cheater territory.

Great coach? Really? NOT
Great Players? Really? Bet me
Class team? Well so what

When my son and I talk we talk Dolphins. He understands.

Date: December 10, 2008 08:02AM

Leon In Denver Wrote:
> Ah come on Deeply, stop the sob story. I've lived
> in Denver 23 years now. My son grew up the biggest
> Marino fan you can imagine. We moved here when he
> was 9. How can he still care about the Phins when
> everything here is about the Broncos. I'm just
> thankful the fans and team really are a class act.
> Care about them? Not!
> I don't know how Curt and JC do it, living in
> Cheater territory.
>
> Great coach? Really? NOT
> Great Players? Really? Bet me
> Class team? Well so what
>
> When my son and I talk we talk Dolphins. He
> understands.

Wow I envy you. Tell me your secret. My son is only 2 and my daughter is 1 and I want both of them to be a fish fan. The problem is that I am living with the enemy. My wife is a patsie and love tom terrific. I dont care what my kids become but never will I allow more patsies in the house hold.

GO FISH!!!

Date: December 10, 2008 08:22AM

Date: December 10, 2008 08:26AM

Yeah, but your precious Bills havent moved anywhere. You have and now youve decided to drop them. I have moved 4 times in the last 7 years alone.....guess what? I am and always have been a Miami Dolphin fan and it aint going to change.

The Jills arent leaving Buffalo and the Phins arent leaving Miami.

Date: December 10, 2008 08:33AM

I think Deeply Conflicted is really Aqua$Orange who has just totally has lost his mind. He is gone off the deep end.

Aqua$Orange is now living in the funny farm.

Im just kindding......Man.

AQUA WHERE ARE YOU??????

You are one of the true dolphans on this site.

GO PHINS.

Date: December 10, 2008 08:41AM

Date: December 10, 2008 08:54AM

You abandoned Buffalo. Why shouldn't they?

Date: December 10, 2008 09:03AM

You're sugesting that whenever a person moves they are abandoning the city they left? Odd concept...so, that means if you relocated to Boston you'd buy a Pats jersey and start rooting for New England just like that.

I'm not that way. I am rooting for the BUFFALO part of BILLS. That's where my roots are, where my childhood was spent, where I had season tickets from childhood through college, and if they changed their name to the Buffalo Bisons and stayed in buffalo I'd root for them just as hard. But, call themselves the Toronto Bills and move to the dome and my favorite team in the NFL will be whoever is playing them that week.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.