HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Report: Dolphins gig is Gruden's "if he wants it"
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Report: Dolphins gig is Gruden's "if he wants it"
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: October 09, 2011 05:53PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Report: Dolphins gig is Gruden's "if he wants it"
Date: October 09, 2011 06:11PM

Thats interesting. Still got the Rooney rule and a few other things to consider ,So don't look for anyone to confirm that , but Gruden is definitely THE or one of the Front Runners. I like Gruden becuase he is still young , and has alot to prove.

Go Colts! Win a few for us........thumbs up

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: October 09, 2011 06:11PM

The way Gruden was talking as an analyst on that NE game, I'm not surprised. He obviously WANTS the job. In fact, he was talking like he already had it.

Date: October 09, 2011 06:13PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thats interesting. Still got the Rooney rule

It's a stupid rule. If we already have our coach picked, we'll interview a token black just to satisfy the rule. I could see us talking to Dungy, but Tony won't go back to coaching.

Date: October 09, 2011 06:24PM

They will just "interview" Karl Dorrell to fulfill that rule.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: realist ()
Date: October 09, 2011 06:24PM

I like Gruden, but this could also be an attempt to get other 'candidates' to speed up their thought processies.

If Cowher or Fisher have sent out vibes like " I'll consider it", this might get them to sit up and think about it a little harder and sooner.

Date: October 09, 2011 06:28PM

I am tired of our team being built like a team that should be in the AFC North and competing with the Ravens and Steelers.

I want a high flying offense that is gonna be able to put up the points with the patsies and jills.

---------------------

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: October 09, 2011 07:27PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> I am tired of our team being built like a team that should be in the AFC North and competing with the Ravens and Steelers.

> I want a high flying offense that is gonna be able to put up the points with the patsies and jills.

AMEN.

Date: October 09, 2011 07:36PM

montequi Wrote:
> The way Gruden was talking as an analyst on that
> NE game, I'm not surprised. He obviously WANTS
> the job. In fact, he was talking like he already
> had it.

Shhhhhhhhhhhh! Ross needs to "Entertain" a few Job offers first or we could lose Our 1st round Meal ticket.............winking smiley

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: October 10, 2011 05:39AM

I'd be OK with Gruden (definate upgrade over Tony S), but he scares me a bit for a few reasons;

1. In the past he's run some pretty specific schemes, "West Coast" O and "Tampa 2/Cover2" D. So my question would be, does our personel fit his schemes at all, or, is he willing to bend his philosophy to fit our personel, if not get ready for a MAJOR personel purge, and contrary to popular belief, we have some good players on both sides of the ball.

2. He seems to treat the QB position like a red headed step child, if he has the chance to take Luck or one of the other studs, will he pull the trigger, or is he gonna try to make chicken salad out of chicken sh@#? In all fairness to him, maybe he's never had the chance to nab a stud QB in the past, but he seems to not like QB's too much.

I do agree that the 2 years away from coaching, and viewing things from the outside looking in will help him. I also don't see him resting on his laurels and losing that fire (which scares me a bit about Cowher). It would sell tickets and create a buzz IMO. Lets hope for the best!

Date: October 10, 2011 06:16AM

Gruden scares me to death. I think he is VERY overrated as a Coach.

---------------------

Posted by: chrisnnavarre ()
Date: October 10, 2011 06:23AM

Just get Mike Shula, hire him away from Carolina, and go after Luck in the draft. The guy has assistant experience all over the league, head coach of the University of Alabama, and look what he's doing with Cam Newton right now at Carolina.

Plus, he's a Shula...it's time to go back and put the franchise on the right track. I think Shula is the guy to do it.

Date: October 10, 2011 06:28AM

He is not doing anything for Cam Newton. Cam Newton is already a star. DO you think the QB Coach at Indy made Peyton Manning? No.

If we hire Shula as our Coach, I will give up on this franchise. I am an SEC fan and he ran the most prominant SEC School into the dumps when he was the Coach.

Shula is terrible. Please, dont mention him again.

---------------------

Date: October 10, 2011 06:38AM

BTW, Cam Newton is on pace to break Marino's single season passing yardage record.

---------------------

Date: October 10, 2011 06:41AM

He missed the boat on Garret when he was here briefly. I like Gruden. That guy has something to prove. I know you don't like him A&O and your not alone. THATS what has him motivated. He's gonna turn the ship around or die trying.

Cowhler is on his second Gig. He is just not going to have that eye of the Tiger that Gruden has.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: October 10, 2011 07:08AM

The thing about Gruden is, he's firey and passionate.Two things this team really needs on the sidelines.

I agree that he may be overrated as a coach but what are we gonna do? The fans and the owner want results...immediate results. We have to either give Sparano more time, thus demonstrating continuity or we have to make a change.

I like Cowher too but I question whether he'll give us his all.

Fisher, might ge motivated in a second chance but we won't know until we pull the trigger.

Decisions, decisions...

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: October 10, 2011 07:17AM

IMO Chuckie understands the contemporary NFL as well as anyone – and there’s no doubt he’s a high IQ, notably higher than Cowher. I think Cowher’s shtick was OK for Pitts (surrounded by tons of talent and a great staff) but I don’t think it plays the same in Miami. Gruden is much more of a “Miami guy” and has a better chance of finding the right combination IMO. Gruden is also the best offensive mind of the 3, and a notably better QB developer. That’s a huge consideration in the pass happy NFL.

I would take Jeff Fisher over Cowher, and Gruden by a hair over Fisher. But any of the three should at least bring respectability back to this franchise.

Like others have said, the HC / GM package is not a winning combination. I’m OK with a big name coach (as in one of the 3 above) having significant input on who the GM should be (if indeed the HC comes before the new GM). There has to be a highly positive synergy between personnel acquisition, player development and overall team management. We obviously don’t have that, and Sparano was effectively castrated at the end of last year. Baby T has zero credibility with the players because we’re obviously not showing up to play. IMO Fisher, Cowher or Gruden would be significant upgrades in terms of motivation and having the team ready to get it on.

Of course, Sparano’s game day management has been pretty awful…

So the question is, IMO, which guy has the best overall package to fit the current NFL and the atmosphere in Miami? And it’s important to keep that second consideration in mind – if this franchise is going to survive we need a persona that works in Miami, not something retread from Pittsburg or wherever.

My .02.

BNF.

Date: October 10, 2011 07:45AM

Everyone knows that no NFL coach has ever won Superbowls with 2 different teams. I wonder if finally winning one makes them less hungry the next time around. Anyway, this is why I like Fisher. He came close with a different team but didn't win...just like Don Shula and Dick Vermeil. On the other hand, Parcells and JJ couldn't repeat their success with different teams. Maybe getting there and LOSING makes you more hungry, but getting there and WINNING makes you less hungry.

Date: October 10, 2011 08:05AM

…if that's the case we want a coach that's starving.

I'd start the search in Ethiopia.

Posted by: chrisnnavarre ()
Date: October 10, 2011 01:35PM

Date: October 10, 2011 02:34PM

They were an average team, at best. The minute Saban took over that program, he made them a powerhouse.

If all he can do on the college level is make a team average, then his NFL teams will suck.

---------------------

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: October 10, 2011 03:31PM

I agree, Mike Shula has never done anything as a coach that made me say...wow.

I'd pass.

Date: October 10, 2011 03:46PM

No one could possibly be serious about Mike Shula.

Not possible. Not as a HC. Not as QB coach.

No need to bring another “Shula” back to this team. Ever.

We need to move forward. Not backward.

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: October 10, 2011 03:56PM

Ken Wrote:
> The thing about Gruden is, he's firey and
> passionate.Two things this team really needs on
> the sidelines.
>
> I agree that he may be overrated as a coach but
> what are we gonna do? The fans and the owner want
> results...immediate results. We have to either
> give Sparano more time, thus demonstrating
> continuity or we have to make a change.
>
> I like Cowher too but I question whether he'll
> give us his all.
>
> Fisher, might ge motivated in a second chance but
> we won't know until we pull the trigger.
>
> Decisions, decisions...

Let's hire all 3. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.