HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          I don't hate Henne, but I don't see a change
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
I don't hate Henne, but I don't see a change
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: September 20, 2011 03:21PM

Late in the year last year, I finally fell off the Henne wagon-my wife talked me off. This year, a lot of the heat is off him and onto other parts of this team. However, if you watch closely, much from last year hasn't changed with him. He's making dumb mistakes in the red zone just like last year, but he's throwing better and has made up for the mistakes so far so that nobody has noticed. He throws fades into the endzone to a shorter receiver, not to our best and biggest receiver in Marshall who's covered by none other than your favorite DB and mine, Jason Allen! Again, poor judgement just like last year. We're down by ten with over five minutes to play, all we need is a touch and a field goal to tie, and this guy is playing with NO urgency, he's not playing to win, he's playing to make it look good. Nobody acts like they believe we can come back and win, neither the team nor we fans - we all act like the game is over! So it is.
I believe that we will play better and win some games, but I'm afraid that I don't believe this "improved" QB will be the reason.

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I don't hate Henne, but I don't see a change
Posted by: JC ()
Date: September 20, 2011 03:55PM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... but he's throwing better ...

Yes he's throwing better, that's a change right there!

He's playing as well as can be expected especially given the drops and inadequacies of the O-Line.

Date: September 20, 2011 03:57PM

Thats unfair. I see a HUGE change. We have been "IN THE GAME" against 2 of the best teams in the NFL. Poor Oline play and no defense is to blame.

No one here ragged on Henne more then me. But I give credit where its due. That guy has rushed his ass off. he has taken serious hits in both games and he gets right back up. He needs work on his fade passes, especially in the red Zone........but to say there is NO change? Unfair statement.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: September 20, 2011 04:19PM

I think he has improved, but still has struggled in the red zone, but drops haven't helped

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: September 20, 2011 05:17PM

There is a huge difference in his body language. He appears much more comfortable in the offense, and much more in command. It's funny that you mention that he throws fades to shorter receivers in the endzone, not Marshall. Lots of people on here are complaining about just the opposite, that he is targeting Marshall too much in the redzone. Let's not forget, Marshall has dropped 2 TD passes in 2 weeks. In the Pats' game, he threw a fade to Hartline, who is 6'2, not exactly a smurf. And Sparano said that was the playcall, and the Hartline matchup was the only place they had single coverage, and that was where it should have been thrown.

Don't be fooled by the Texans' game stats. According to profootballfocus.com, the Fins were the worst pass blocking team in week 1. Henne was pressured, sacked, or hit 20 times by the Patriots, one of the worst pass rushing teams in the league. The Fins pass blocking grade will be even worse in the Texans' game, as Henne almost never had a clean pocket to work from.

Against the Texans, Bess dropped a 15 yard completion. Marshall dropped a 20 yard TD pass. Marshall dropped a quick pass to the flat where he had a lot of room to make something happen after the catch. And Gates dropped a slant where he had lots and lots of room to run after the catch. There was also the 40 yard pass interference play to Gates, on an absolutely perfectly thrown pass. Those 5 plays would have made Henne's stats look a lot better. And how many batted passes were there? 4, 5? And those were mostly because of too much pressure allowed in Henne's face.

This is also a factor that none of the media pointed out, so I think is going largely unnoticed by fans. In the Pats game, Fasano and Bush combined for 14 catches. Why? Because the Fins routinely sent 5 guys out into patterns, spreading the field, and creating more one on one matchups. Against the Texans, Fasano and Bush combined for 1 catch. Why? Because they were so concerned with the Texans' pass rush that they kept the TEs and RBs into block on most passing plays. For this game, it was back to the "3 guys in the pattern" offense we saw from Henning. And with only 3 guys in the pattern, it's difficult to get favorable matchups. The Fins were so concerned with the pass rush that they started the game with Nate Garner as a 2nd TE to help block Mario Williams. So, while you still saw a lot of Henne in the shotgun against Houston, it was a much different attack than what you saw against New England. It was a ton of two TE sets, with both guys staying into block. That's not what the offense did in game 1.

Posted by: PHINSKISS13 ()
Date: September 20, 2011 07:54PM

Henne is playing much better....The D killed us in the first game and a blocked FG, missed FG and a dropped pass in the endzone right in Marshall's hands...13 wasted points....not Henne's fault.

Date: September 21, 2011 11:28AM

Much of what you guys said is true, Henne does seem to be playing better, and other factors are effecting the outcome of games more than he is so far this year. However, I still see some of the things I saw last year that I didn't like, such as poor decision making in the red zone, but mostly his tendency to play without a sense of urgency late in games. It drives me crazy.

Rick

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: September 21, 2011 01:55PM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Much of what you guys said is true, Henne does
> seem to be playing better, and other factors are
> effecting the outcome of games more than he is so
> far this year. However, I still see some of the
> things I saw last year that I didn't like, such as
> poor decision making in the red zone,

No offense, but how do you, or any fan, know that there is poor decision making happening in the red zone? Do you know what play was called? What the coverage was? Did each receiver run their route properly? Was there a breakdown in the blocking that obscured a passing lane? You can be unhappy with the results in the redzone. But, you, or I, or any fan, or any broadcaster, has no idea if the right decision was made on any play. To make that determination, there are a lot of factors you need to know, and you need to be able to see the play from the angle that coach's film uses.

You used the example of throwing a fade to a shorter receiver instead of going to Marshall, matched up with Jason Allen. Remember, he hit Marshall with a perfect pass over Jason Allen, and Marshall dropped it. He also threw a pass to Marshall over Allen to the corner of the endzone, and Marshall instead stopped at the 3 yard line. He also threw another pass to Marshall in the back of the endzone, matched up with Allen, and Marshall made no effort to make a play on the ball.

Henne had 9 pass attempts from inside the Texans' 21 yard line. 4 went to Marshall, including a TD and the dropped would be TD. 3 went to Bess, and 2 to Hartline. Of the 3 to Bess, none were in the endzone. One of the 2 to Hartline was in the endzone, but it wasn't a fade. Henne was scrambling right, and threw a bullet to the back of the endzone, too far for Hartline. The only other passes thrown into the endzone were 3 attempts to Marshall. So, 4 balls thrown into the endzone, and 3 were to Marshall. The situation you described, throwing a fade to a shorter receiver, while Marshall was covered by Allen, did not happen.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: September 21, 2011 04:46PM

Henne seems to have improved but his big problem has always been consistency. Need to see more.

I will say that the two losses were absolutely not his fault.

Our O Line sucks big time with the exception of Pouncey.

Hopefully the vets are lighting a fire under the butts of this young team in practise. JT and Bell seem to be. Dansby should follow up and Clemens is back.

Ireland is a moron for signing Columbo! And Sparano isn't helping matters much by agreeing to move Carey.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: September 22, 2011 04:07AM

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 22, 2011 05:07AM

Marshall just isn't effective in the red zone. He's better when you get him a short pass with room to run. If he has room, he can use his physicality and size to push is way down the field, and even into the endzone. Pass plays inside the 10 should go to Hartline, Bess, or Fasano. Fade routes to Fasano would make more sense.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: September 22, 2011 05:30AM

That is how he seems to have scored the majority of his TDs with us. However, I have in my mind the (at least seemingly) many times when Henne throws to one side of Marshall and he simultaneously turns to the other. I'm thinking that they're leaving a good number of TDs on the field due to miscommunication. It's baffling to me because they look like they should be relatively easy pitch & catch. It seems like it should be something they should be able to fix, but I don't know. You may be right and maybe they just shouldn't look to Marshall in the end zone, but I'm not quite there yet.

Posted by: psalm462 ()
Date: September 22, 2011 05:38AM

Come on, he has hair now! He got rid of the third grade buzz cut. That has to count for all the missed throws in the end zone.

Date: September 24, 2011 05:45PM

I don't take offense at a difference of opinion. That's what we're here for.

Rick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.