HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          What's going on with Nolans Def???????
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What's going on with Nolans Def???????
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: September 20, 2011 04:12AM

I realize we've faced 2 of the best O's in the game, but what the hell happened to our once promising young Def? I'm seeing a very vanilla D, with not alot of blitz packages or stunts. Watching the Giants and Rams last night, I saw nothing but blitzes almost every down by both teams.

Is this because Nolan don't trust our DBs or have teams figured out how to exploit Nolan?????? I kinda expected us to struggle out of the gate, but I never expected our D to look this bad.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's going on with Nolans Def???????
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 20, 2011 05:19AM

I think it's lack of conditioning and motivation. Nolan's a scheme guy, not a motivator. That's why he spends the game up in the booth rather than on the sidelines. Jim Bates was a motivator, and that's what this team needs. It doesn't need to be Nolan (he's a great strategy guy, and I hate to lose him), but it needs to be SOMEONE. Maybe we should promote JT to player/coach!!

Date: September 20, 2011 06:11AM

Wheres Brian Cox!? He needs to step TF up!

Date: September 20, 2011 06:14AM

Cox is a waste. He was out of control as a player. He wasn't a team leader. Zach Thomas was a leader. Cox was just a headcase. That kind of thing doesn't just FIX itself when you become a coach.

Posted by: Doug-THE-Dolfan ()
Date: September 20, 2011 08:06AM

What we need is a real football coach on defense (and offense and special teams).

Can we get a coach that knows how to teach players to tackle? Can we stop the need to have conversations about coaches strengths and weaknesses? Or players strengths and weaknesses?

Right now the Miami Dolphins suck. I will say it again: right now the Maimi Dolphins SUCK!

What this team needs now is a coach or player to stand up and say:

DAMN - IT, IT IS US AGAINST THE WORLD NOW. NOBODY BELIEVES IN US NOW. THERE ARE EVEN SOME OF US (Coaches and Players) WHO DO NOT BELIEVE IN THE MIAMI DOLPHINS RIGHT NOW. I WILL ASK THAT IF YOU ARE IN THAT PLACE NOW, LEAVE NOW. THE REST OF US ARE GOING TO WORK ON GOING 14-2 AND KICKING THE $H!T OUT OF EVERY PERSON THAT IS IN OUR WAY. RIGHT NOW WE SUCK. THERE IS NO GETTING AROUND HOW WE HAVE SHOWN UP IN THE FIRST TWO GAMES. WE MUST WORK ON THE REMAINING 14 GAMES AND SHOW THE WORLD WHAT WE ARE MADE OF. ARE WE MADE OF $H!T OR ARE WE MADE OF STEAL? THE ANSWER WILL COME OUT. RIGHT NOW WE CAN MOLD THAT OUTCOME. STOP WHINNING. STOP CRITICIZING OTHER PLAYERS/COACHES. LOOK AT YOURSELF AND KICK YOUSELF IN THE A$$ BECAUSE RIGHT NOW YOU SUCK. NOT THE OTHER PLAYER, NOT THE OTHER COACH, BUT YOU SUCK. NOT ANYONE ELSE BUT YOU. RIGHT NOW THE TEAM SUCKS. WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT? CRY OR KICK SOME A$$?

The next test is cleveland. I will never give up on the Dolphins, even if they go 0-16 and do not score agian this year. I will also be honest in my comments. Right now, the Dolphins SUCK.

People, think about this, we are climbing (or sinking) into the Cincinnati type crap hole. The Lions look like they are climbing out of that hole, but really, I want every Dolphins fan to really think about how this team, this franchise, has fallen to this stinky level.

It has taken years to drop this far and may take years to get out of it. Although I believe that if the team has any winners on it, this season can still be a great one for the Miami Dolphins.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: September 20, 2011 08:18AM

I wonder if Zack would make a good LB coach on this team. I'll bet he would.

Date: September 20, 2011 09:03AM

I'd say Daboll exemplifies the kind of coach we need. He's hands on. He's on the sidelines during games. He's innovative and enthusiastic. I was disappointed when we signed him because of how bad Cleveland was last year, but I've done a 180 on Daboll.

There's a place for coaches like Nolan, though. If we had a firey head coach (like JJ) then a subdued coordinator would be fine. That's how JJ and Wanny worked in Dallas. If you have a calm coach, then a firey coordinator is better (like Wanny/Bates...because as bad as we were, or defense was still very good back then). The problem is the combination of Sparano and Nolan doesn't seem to work.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: September 20, 2011 09:31AM

The Phins need guys to step up and be leaders on defense. Someone to step up and just knock someone on the opposite team unconcious and then challenge another guy to do the same. I mean tough guy sh**. Not even Zach and JT type leadership, I mean like Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. Watching those two guys I really think the Ravens can play a whole game w/out defensive coaches. How many years has Y Bell been here he is so invisible as a leader you would think he is a rookie.Time for the D to wake up.

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: September 20, 2011 11:35AM

Its sad reading all of these posts, we fans just have our non-professional opinons...all of it means nothing. I think this team will sink even lower until you get a new coach and owner...Ross has the $$$ but is not a football guy...a nighclub in the stadium?? lol its comical actually. It seems like he wants to create a disney land rather than a football team.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: September 20, 2011 11:57AM

the phins need an oline, safeties, and play makers. same as the last 4 years.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: September 20, 2011 12:16PM

whoops. this thread is about nolans d.

the problems there? they play scared. they don't dictate anything. they play base vanilla d and let teams throw underneath all game long. they never man up on the outside and redirect the wrs or tes.

the front 7 was supposed to be a strength. when you rush 4 and drop the rest in coverage you allow wake to be doubled without te help.

opposing qbs have an eternity to throw while henne sees a jail break every snap.

sparano is a conservative boob in the parcells mode. parcells has to be the most overrate coach/gm in nfl history.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: September 20, 2011 01:39PM

Nolan just seems to be getting out-coached.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Deigol090 ()
Date: September 20, 2011 02:55PM

Guys its week 2 I think its safe to assume that this team regime in general is really slow to start.

We are going to crush Cle and build off that.

We will then go on to beat SD, and after that game its on.

We got some "goodies" up our sleeve for the Jets.

This team will right itself just give it some time.

I am confident this week and Cleavland Dabolls old stomping ground he knows the whole offense there.

NO WAY we lose this one he knows Hillis weak points to a T so except McCoy to beat us? LOL not happening

1-2 here we come!!

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: September 20, 2011 03:15PM

C'mon, Victor. The combination of Sparano and Nolan worked fine last year. And, don't bring up Jimmy Johnson like he was the second coming or something, he wasn't. Everybody's just pissed off because the Dolphins are losing, and not looking particularly good doing it.

Rick

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: September 20, 2011 03:29PM

I doubt it. He was a great player, but waaay to much of a pessimist when he spoke to the press. The last thing these kids need is a coach with a pessimistic outlook.

Rick

Date: September 22, 2011 07:47AM

If I was head coach of the Miami Dolphins this week, I would make it clear - I would state it everyday in practice this week - if I see one celebration from any player for any play you will not be active for next week's game.

We will be business like from here on out. If the millionaire players don't like it, they know where the door is.

It is time to build a legitimate and effective team. It is time to define a higher standard for the Miami Dolphins.

We score a touchdown - we hand the ball to the ref and go to the side lines and start working on the next blankety blank drive. We sack the QB, we go back to the huddle and begin working on the next play.

I understand individuality, but it is Marshall Law now and if you don't like it - there is the blankety blank door.

It is time to let the football godz know that we are tired of undisciplined players, players that pull attention to them selves.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 22, 2011 08:16AM

Players do not respect sparano..Doug.....

Sparano has lost confidence and so have the players....He has no control over the players.

If he did that....we would have half the team or more fired.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 22, 2011 08:26AM

Date: September 22, 2011 09:03AM

We didn't fix the biggest hole we had in our defense last year: FS. Jones isn't cutting it. MAYBE Clemons will be our savior. We have to wait and see. Jones is NOT cut out to be an NFL FS at the moment. Maybe someday..but not now.

Date: September 22, 2011 09:14AM

You are probably right Samsam3738, but my attitude now is at least we would have one half of a real team in place and the other half would be signed by another club as they stand in the unemlpoyment line.

And I would not care if New England picked any of them up and they blasted us on MNF with those exact players.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: September 22, 2011 09:32AM

Last year the run was our problem and worse than the pass?

We ranked 7th in rush and 8th in passing with 8 tds allowed rushing and 22 allowed passing.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: JC ()
Date: September 22, 2011 09:37AM

Doug-THE-Dolfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I understand individuality, but it is Marshall Law
> now and if you don't like it - there is the
> blankety blank door.
>
>

Why are you calling it Marshall Law? Because Brandon is such a great team player?

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: September 22, 2011 09:49AM

Its not that Reshad Jones cant cut it, but he is taking to many risks and chances and that is hurting the team.. He isnt being a team player so to speak, although he has helped out alot with tackles, it has been ages since our FS lead the team in tackles...

We have no leadership on defense, and are not doing what Nolan is good at, at this point which is disguising blitzes and where the pressure is gonna come from... We are not audibling or adjusting on defense at all, a play is called and we are hoping like hell we get lined up before the ball is snapped.
The opposing offense reads our defense and changes his play 3 times in the time it takes us to get lined up in the initial play that Nolan called, let alone making a read...lol or crying..The JV team at the local high school's offense, could read this defense and its intentions pre snap and adjust every play at this point. Sad to see, our defense fall apart like it has...Nolan is coaching the worst rank defense in the whole league... Thats right defesive genius Mike Nolan is the defensive cordinator of the worst ranked defensive in the game at this point...WTF

Date: September 22, 2011 11:17AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> Its not that Reshad Jones cant cut it, but he is
> taking to many risks and chances and that is
> hurting the team.. He isnt being a team player so
> to speak,

I'm not saying he won't be able to play FS SOMEDAY, but he's not ready right now. In fact, when he was drafted most people pegged him as a SS, not a FS.

Posted by: Deigol090 ()
Date: September 22, 2011 05:17PM

Will Allen is going to make a differance.

Cleavland has shit for WR'S.
Stop Hillis and we beat them bad.

They will score some prob around 21 points or so, however I believe we will see a 300 yard 2 td performance from Henne and not so much running, because Hillis is power back like Thomas so to use Thomas alot is kinda dumb because thats what there used to.

Better use Bush alot in the pass game only way to really open up for our wr's.

Either way we win this game hand's down no question's asked look for 3 sacks for the day, and ont INT from this defense.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: September 22, 2011 05:32PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote: Nolan just seems to be getting out-coached.

Yea, I'd second that. And ain't that a surprise all things considered?

But the dude seems to have a history of fading, as do his D's.

Honestly, we can't win for losing... One step forward and 2 steps back.

BNF.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2011 05:33PM by BigNastyFish.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: September 22, 2011 05:37PM

Crowder52 Wrote: Its not that Reshad Jones cant cut it...

I don't know about that. Right now he looks likes a dude who is OUT OF HIS LEAGUE.

Horrible angles + No depth percercetion = NO NFL Career

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: September 22, 2011 08:35PM

No pass rush, QBs have all day to pick you apart.
Get pressure, rushed,hurried throws come out for short to no gains.
If you can't get there with 4, you better bring an effective blitz.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: September 23, 2011 03:30AM

When your FS or any db leads the team in tackles...you know you are in trouble. Leading tackler shoulds ALWAYS be a MLB or ILB.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: September 23, 2011 04:12AM

eesti Wrote:
> When your FS or any db leads the team in
> tackles...you know you are in trouble. Leading
> tackler shoulds ALWAYS be a MLB or ILB.

I think it depends on the offensive strategy of the other team. If they emphasize the running game, then DEFINITELY it should be the LB. If they pass a lot more than they throw, then the FS may lead. Either way, the FS should get more tackles than the rest of the DBs.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.