HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Miami Deserves A Team....
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Miami Deserves A Team....
Posted by: Oldfartphindude ()
Date: September 18, 2011 06:32PM

Now that the Dolphins have secured the cellar in the AFC East in just the second week, having lost 9 of their last 10 home games, I only have one thing to say...GET THIS TEAM THE H*** out of here.

Miami deserves a team, but this team doesn't deserve to be in Miami. Not any more. Miami fans... stop attending the games so the owners lose money and want to move. I say run this team outta town, lock, stock and barrel. Send them out on their backside. For those that don't know me... been a fan since 1970 ( hence the old fart name ). The real Dolphins, once a proud team with a winning tradition disappeared years ago. This makeshift squad that's using the Miami Dolphins name is, and has been fooling no one who's followed Miami football back to the Championship days.

The recent teams having played over the last 10 - 15 years have no connection to Dolphin tradition of old. I do not associate them anymore with real Miami football. Also, reading some of these posts is starting to sicken me instead of lifting me up, or lighting a fire under my you know what. Case in point...the person that posted the subject "The Texans Own The Fins". I remember when that statement would have been blasphemy. The Dolphins did the owning and answered to no one. Ask the Buffalo Bills of the 1970's who went the entire decade losing 20 in a row to Miami.

That's why today, the once proud city of Miami, with it's once proud tradition of championship caliper football deserves a real NFL team. Run this current sad excuse of a squad out of town and hopefully the NFL will grant Miami a new franchise, an all new team with a hunger to win it all. Remember 1966 when the Dolphins were formed, in 6 years we won the Superbowl. Today it can be done even faster. Radical...YES, but do we really want to continue the way we have, in my humble opinion, NOOOOO!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Miami Deserves A Team....
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: September 18, 2011 06:40PM

so fla fans are horrible. most fairweather fans around. I am not talking about the true die hards like those on this board, but the general fan who can't be bothered to show up sundays. compare this to fans in other cities, hell even the browns and bengals and lions fans show up during the worst of times. don't talk to me about the economy, wah, it's the same economy everywhere. so miami fans don't "deserve" anything, even when the team is good they don't sell out. I want the team to do well but to talk like the team owns the fans anything is ludicrous.

Posted by: razorghost ()
Date: September 18, 2011 07:44PM

People in Miami seem like the most fickle fans!

I understand losing sucks but TRUE fans stick with their team through the rough years too!!

I'd love to go to a Dolphin game! If I lived in Miami I would support the team as much as I could.

Whoever lives in the Miami area you take this team for granted! It's fickle fans like you that are the reason teams are uprooted and located to another city!

Every franchise has bad years hell even the Patriots,Colts and Jets etc.... have had really bad years!

Go to the games and cheer the team on, eventually we will be on top again!

Date: September 19, 2011 02:28AM

Miami is not even made up of Football fans anymore. Cubans and Hispanics dig baseball and Soccer. Miami Fans all moved North. They are spread throughout North Florida. The Stadium is not representive of true Miami fans.

How many here live in South Florida? I think I'm the only one and I live 2 hours North of the Stadium.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2011 02:28AM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: September 19, 2011 04:15AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Miami is not even made up of Football fans
> anymore.

True.

>Cubans and Hispanics dig baseball and
> Soccer.

First of all, Cubans *are* hispanics.

And second, the Marlins sell out every game don't they! So much for the Hispanics supporting baseball.

And I don't believe that a new baseball stadium closer to the city will do the trick (although I'll be glad to see the infield gone from Dolphins games) . A shiny new building will provide a temporary bump in Marlins attendance, but that will wear off if the team continues to stink.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: September 19, 2011 04:34AM

A winning streak will fill the stands. Many years ago when the Panthers made their Stanley Cup run the stadium was filled with people/fans who had never seen ice outside of a cocktail glass. Unfortunately Sparano is in way over his head as a HC. He looked capable as Parcell's sock puppet butt, it's evident that he is incapable of turning things around without devine intervention. His post game press conference was painful to watch.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 19, 2011 04:44AM

Nice job making taking this thread in a racist direction. Blame it on the Hispanics, huh?

Dude, Miami is NOT a sports town. Neither is L.A. That's why football and baseball are complete failures in those cities. Everything is too laid back. The economy is based on tourism, and tourists rarely attend sporting events. The only exception to this is the NBA. David Stern figured out long ago how to bridge that gap between the rabid sports fan and the occasional viewer who'd rather just go someplace and have fun and could care less who actually wins. They did this by catering to both the Hollywood crowd and kids. It helps that basketball, by design, is not a violent sport. The brawls that used to happen often in the 80's are a thing of the past because Stern has cracked down on that. The same applies to drug use.

Unfortunately, the nature of football IS violence, which makes it difficult to pitch to young children. It's also not glamorous because it's usually played outside, and often in bad weather. That's why football does best in working-class towns (like Green Bay) and towns where being rude and crude is part of the culture (like NY and Chicago). Football isn't about glitz and glamor, and that's why it will NEVER be huge in Miami.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2011 04:45AM by montequi.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: September 19, 2011 06:26AM

Date: September 19, 2011 06:34AM

montequi Wrote:
> Nice job making taking this thread in a racist
> direction. Blame it on the Hispanics, huh?

I hope you weren't directing that at me, because if so that'd be dead wrong on your part.

And, "hispanic" isn't a race.

>
> Unfortunately, the nature of football IS violence,

yea, but Not so much anymore. Touch the quarterback a millisecond after the ball is released? Penalty. Lead with your head? don't even think about it. Tackle by the shoulderpads (horsecollar)? Illegal. Graze the sleeve or a receiver's jersey with your fingernail? Pass interference, first and goal on the 1YD line.

The newer rules are with safety in mind, and a majority of them are probably good changes. But football is becoming less violent, the emphasis is on finesse and high scoring games, which is supposed to get the attention of today's target demographic. Right now most of the finesse and scoring is being done by our opponents.

> It's also not glamorous because it's
> usually played outside, and often in bad weather.

When I grew up there, it was sunny, and blisteringly hot in the Orange Bowl. To me that was bad weather, but a lot of people consider that 'good'. Somehow they still sold out the Orange Bowl. And that's with a lot smaller population living in the area back then AND a higher-capacity, stadium with benches to sit on. Now, they've changed the start times to make the environment (supposedly) more favorable to the fans. Not only are tickets not selling, but we've lost what used to be a climate based home field advantage. I'm pretty sure the product on the field is to blame a lot more than the weather.

Plus look at how many great high school and college teams are in the South, and Southwest. Plenty of football is being played to packed stadiums in 'good' weather all over the country. Pro Football *should* be popular in the NFL teams in warm-weather cities. But when the team is regularly stinking out the joint at home games--that won't be popular in Miami

> That's why football does best in working-class
> towns (like Green Bay) and towns where being rude
> and crude is part of the culture (like NY and
> Chicago).

What some people regard as "rude and crude", others regard as "fierce loyalty" and "not being wussies."

> Football isn't about glitz and glamor,
> and that's why it will NEVER be huge in Miami.

If glitz and glamour is popular, why isnt' Ross' inclusion of celebrity owners, night clubs in the stadium, etc. not working? The association with Hollywood works for the LA Lakers, why not the Miami Dolphins? It's because the Lakers win.

I dispute the "NEVER". I remember the early 1970s. Football was king in S. FL, and that was when UM stunk. Maybe you mean never *again*. You may be right. But if we somehow manage to put together a winner of a team, the fair weather fans will definitely fill up the stadium.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 19, 2011 06:53AM

In the early 1970's Miami wasn't the glitz and glamor town it is today. I know. I grew up there.

You're right that Hispanic isn't a race, but blaming any ethnic group or culture for this is just plain wrong. I'm hispanic, and I have many friends who are as well...and we're ALL rabid Dolphin fans.

Date: September 19, 2011 07:24AM

montequi Wrote:
> In the early 1970's Miami wasn't the glitz and
> glamor town it is today. I know. I grew up
> there.

I know, I did too. But I still believe that if we would actually win some home games, JRS with all its half assed glitz and glamour manufactured by Ross *would* be all the rage once again.

>
> You're right that Hispanic isn't a race, but
> blaming any ethnic group or culture for this is
> just plain wrong. I'm hispanic, and I have many
> friends who are as well...and we're ALL rabid
> Dolphin fans.

Agreed! I grew up in a hispanic area. On Monday mornings at school, all the guys, of all backgrounds would be discussing the Phins game over the weekend. In fact football was a good common ground for all the guys to chime in on a subject. Everyone wanted to talk about the Dolphins; everyone wanted to go to the games at the O.B. Because we used to win!

I also have many hispanics in my family. My point earlier was in response to the post containing the notion that hispanics only like baseball and soccer.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: September 19, 2011 07:51AM

Personally I think it's the Irish. We need to feed our players more spuds and highland grass fed birds. They eat too many plantains and dark chocolate. It’s obvious.

Most important, just like in the glory days, we need a FG kicker from Trinidad or Barcelona. Somewhere exotic. Something exciting.

**pumps fist**

Date: September 19, 2011 07:53AM

Mmmm. Plantains.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 19, 2011 09:47AM

Sorry JC but nobody down here digs soccer. Please!

Date: September 19, 2011 09:59AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Sorry JC but nobody down here digs soccer. Please!

What are you sorry for, I don't see where I said otherwise.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 19, 2011 10:01AM

JC Wrote:
> samsam3738 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Sorry JC but nobody down here digs soccer.
> Please!
>
>
> What are you sorry for, I don't see where I said
> otherwise.

Figure of speech. Im not exactly sorry. Come on.

Soccer and golf go hand in hand.................I think i will even watch bowling instead.

Posted by: SouthFlPhinFan ()
Date: September 19, 2011 10:08AM

razorghost Wrote:
> People in Miami seem like the most fickle fans!
>
> I understand losing sucks but TRUE fans stick with
> their team through the rough years too!!
>
> I'd love to go to a Dolphin game! If I lived in
> Miami I would support the team as much as I
> could.
>
> Whoever lives in the Miami area you take this team
> for granted! It's fickle fans like you that are
> the reason teams are uprooted and located to
> another city!
>
> Every franchise has bad years hell even the
> Patriots,Colts and Jets etc.... have had really
> bad years!
>
> Go to the games and cheer the team on, eventually
> we will be on top again!

12 Years I have had season tickets, I am Fickle???? NO I AM STUPID TO PAY FOR THIS CRAP PRODUCT!!!!!!!! I had season Tickets before I lived in Florida, I used to come to every home game from Ma. 1500 miles every week..... So what do you do to support this team??? You can call me stupid but not Fickle...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.