HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Re-signing Larry Johnson?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Re-signing Larry Johnson?
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: September 08, 2011 07:36AM

More weird roster moves right before the season, this is what annoys me about Ireland.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Re-signing Larry Johnson?
Posted by: Westcoastphinfan ()
Date: September 08, 2011 07:42AM

Yessssss!
I just received a flash text that the Dolphins just re-signed Larry Johnson. That makes me very happy, he deserves to be on our team, and we need a good inside the tackles running back. Let's go out and beat the Patsies Monday!!
Westcoastphinfan

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: September 08, 2011 07:51AM

Oh well...They cut Ray Feinga to make room - which leaves us even thinner on the OL.

I hope we're working on a package to send Merling somewhere for a solid G. This OL is really looking like a mess. If they play they they look - well, Ireland has seriously focked up.

It's like the OL is going backwards.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 08, 2011 07:56AM

It sounds like we're working a deal for a G. I have a feeling LJ won't play for us anyway. He's just holding a roster spot and will be available if a injury occurs. Otherwise, I see us dumping him again fairly soon.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 08, 2011 08:13AM

They signed larry johnson because daniel thomas tweaked a hamstring in practice.

Date: September 08, 2011 08:15AM

Date: September 08, 2011 08:45AM

That makes sense. I assume they're betting Feinga doesn't get picked up?

re: Thomas - we can only hope we don't have yet another injury prone dude on our hands. These guys need to work on flexibility and yoga like Ricky!

And I’m betting Ricky has a pretty good year in Baltimore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2011 08:46AM by BigNastyFish.

Date: September 08, 2011 08:57AM

Saprano better hope that Larry Johnson can save his ass. Bad move drafting this Kid. I felt it all along. he will pay with his Job.

Date: September 08, 2011 09:33AM

I don’t know if it was a bad move or not, time will tell. But when we passed on the QB’s and traded up for Thomas, he better produce right out of the box.

I thought the kid looked pretty good in the last preseason game – and he has the physical chops to be a solid NFL RB. But the most important aspect for all these guys is to be physically sound and actively contributing. Right now the durability of our RB’s has got to be somewhat of a concern.

If the OL sucks then nothing else matters anyway. And since the OL is Sparano’s forte, he would deserve to get axed for that reason alone (especially if we end up with a 3rd straight losing season – which a crap OL will certainly contribute to).

This team needs a lot of breaks and all the questions to get positive answers – barring that we have little chance to make much happen.

Game one is going to be VERY interesting. And I already find it ??? the way Sparano is underselling the game – as if he kind of expects a bad outcome. I know he doesn’t want the team too tight or have too much invested in a single game – but this is a HUGE game for him and Henne. If they falter the house of cards could collapse pretty quickly.

If they have a great game and make a STATEMENT to start the season – it could literally make this season. So yea Tony, there’s a TON riding on this game and you better produce a WINNER!

Go Henne!
Go Sparano!
Do it now!
No excuses!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2011 09:35AM by BigNastyFish.

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: September 08, 2011 09:40AM

Bad move drafting Thomas? Already? Let's at least watch him run a few times in the regular season before we decide that the kid is a bust.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 08, 2011 09:40AM

I'm interested in Sparano's statements that undersell the game. Any coach that does that should be fired on the spot. If you don't truly believe your team can beat anyone, then you can't motivate your team to win. After Wanny and Cameron, we should be WELL aware of that!!

Date: September 08, 2011 09:44AM

Fins72 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bad move drafting Thomas? Already? Let's at least
> watch him run a few times in the regular season
> before we decide that the kid is a bust.

I hope we can.

Date: September 08, 2011 09:52AM

Date: September 08, 2011 01:08PM

they never should have cut him in the first place so im happy he is back where he should be

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: September 08, 2011 03:10PM

Wow some of you love the conspiracy theories! Read too much into everything. Now youre reading TS mind based on a pregame statement?

I guess Bill Belichick should be fired too since he gushed about how good the dolphins were and how tough it is going to be to be us. GMAB!

Johnson was signed bc of Thomas injury. What exactly did we lose with Fienga?....he's average and could be replaced on the waiver wire or by a street FA.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: September 08, 2011 04:13PM

Should have cut a TE not OL

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: September 08, 2011 04:59PM

Posted by: JC ()
Date: September 09, 2011 04:05AM

ghotirule Wrote:
>
> Ever watch the Don Shula show? That coach
> undersold every friggen game. No matter if next
> weeks opponent was 0-15 or 15-0, Shula would act
> like the Dolphins had zero chance.
>
> Then after we knocked the snot of whoever we
> played, Shula would talk about how the Phins got a
> few breaks, but need to play better.
>
>

Man, what memories. Chuck Dowdle from channel 10 would sit down with Shula and three players from the game the day before, and discuss the highlights. it was pretty much the only way to see highlights from the most recent game, and you can bet I was glued to the TV set every week for that show.

in the 70s they'd dress up in Leisure suits and sometimes wear ties that Garo designed....good times!

Larry Johnson a Dolphin..... again?
Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: September 08, 2011 07:09PM

Date: September 09, 2011 06:01AM

Could have signed larry Johnson anyway, kept Ricky Williams and drafted Ryan Mallet. Whats easier to find, a workhorse RB or a Franchise QB?

I have had a bad feeling since the moment he was announced as our 2nd draft pick. I hope I eat those words, but Thomas will never be the man.

Date: September 09, 2011 06:10AM

How do you know he will never be the man treasure? Do you want him not to be the man just to prove a point.

BTW Ryan mallet had a good first preseason game after that he struggled all throughout preseason.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: September 09, 2011 06:36AM

my only concern about thomas is RBs are supposed to be good right out of the gate. he was drafted to be our workhorse back THIS season. So if there are big issues with him now, it's a red flag. I know there are some exceptions (LJ, Benson, Thomas Jones weren't great right away) but most often, if you are going to be a great back you show it in your first season.

other issue with thomas is he is a total plodder, will never be a game breaking back which is what I thought we were after. Oh well, I am pulling for him, despite the #33 Sammie Smith flashbacks he gives me

Date: September 09, 2011 07:50AM

Sammie smith????

He just had a tweaked hammy berk......he hasnt had a chance to be compared with sammie smith yet.

Give him a break and let him fumble 3 times in a game first. Give him a break HAHA.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: September 09, 2011 07:55AM

did you see his first goal line carry in the first preseason game? dove from the 3 yard line and fumbled at the 1. I saw Sammie do that back to back games against Houston ("sammie sucks" game) and KC back in the early 90s). total flashback

Date: September 09, 2011 08:02AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> did you see his first goal line carry in the first
> preseason game? dove from the 3 yard line and
> fumbled at the 1. I saw Sammie do that back to
> back games against Houston ("sammie sucks" game)
> and KC back in the early 90s). total flashback

Ok i got it now. hah.................

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: September 09, 2011 10:54AM

Clay and THomas both tweeked something in practice this week, Thomas I believe it is a hamstring. So this move makes great sense, and in my opinion is a blassing in disguise. Larry looked better then the everybody but Bush in his few chances to run in this offense. I think he has some juice left in the tank, and also has something to prove...I like guys in that position.... That 22 yard TD his scored, was pro running. Granted it was in preseason. Plus he is signed to a non guarantee weekly prove it contract, which is even more insentive.

Date: September 09, 2011 02:57PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> How do you know he will never be the man treasure?
> Do you want him not to be the man just to prove a
> point.
>
> BTW Ryan mallet had a good first preseason game
> after that he struggled all throughout preseason.

DUH. READ MY POST. I said I hope I eat my words. I HOPE I'm wrong . But I can feel it in my bones. I knew that was a tremendous mistake. Belichick knew it too. You make fun of only 1 good Pre season game. He's an NFL QB How long? With a LOCKOUT.eye rolling smiley Its taken Chad Henne 4 yrs to have 1 decent Pre season game.

Hope I'm wrong. Mallet will be great. We won't.But I'll settle for good. smileys with beer

Date: September 10, 2011 03:58AM

So Mallet will be great and we wont!

Thats the spirit! eye rolling smiley

Date: September 10, 2011 05:42AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> So Mallet will be great and we wont!
>
> Thats the spirit! eye rolling smiley

10 yrs ago when I was trying to praise the moves of Wannastedt (eddie Moore) or the great move of Tedd ginn when we needed a QB, I was right there with ya. But I've kinda had it when the one GLOWERING position of need goes to the way side year by year. How many 2nd, 3rd string off season pick ups do we need to finally prove that thats not how you find a Franchise QB? Teams don't get rid of Quality anything , especially QB's. Thats how we landed Ricky Williams, & Brandon Marshall. Quality draft picks from a team that needs every one spent on TROUBLE. Teams like New England who are always just a few pieces away can afford to do that .

Now with Ricky Williams still on board, Tons of free Agent RB's avialable and still on the draft board, You REACH and move up for a Posistion NOT only not in great need, but one you get 5 yrs out of IF YOU ARE LUCKY.

Thats not great value and to make it worse, We are desperatly in need of a QB to replace a Interception machine that lost 7 at home, 3 straight at the end of the season. They were running Dan Marino clips the second Saprano said he made a trade to move up. Everyone was comparing him to Dan. The Drug accusations, the late drafting posistion, and the CANNON of an arm.

Do the dolphons create some excitement? Maybe sell out a few blackout games? What changed it all for the Jets? What created a Buzz ? It all centered around the move up for Mark Sanchez. Has he been perfect? Far from it. But that team has an identity. It has someone to cheer for.

We get this Unachieving mook RB with bad hands and a tweaked hamstring. He can turn out to be the second coming of Ricky himself, but we all know what happened when Ricky had his best year don't we? 1850 yds/NO PLAYOFFS.

The Dolphins Promised QB Competition this season and did not deliver. THEY LIED. Were do you live Sam? Tell me, Are you going to see every Dolphins game? Are you? I'm going to the Game opener, but I'm looking at several Blackouted games and you want me to be Rah rah Dolphins?

THEY CREATED THIS MESS. They Lied, and they let Tony Saprano , create this boring lopsided defense minded team that is always competive , but never does enough. And the QB posistion is never the center. Its a boring caretaker that creates problems and can't adapt.

Prove me wrong , lets win the opener and create a Buzz. But I live here and its not Good . Season tickets going for $280!! ALL GAMES and they can't sell. This Oline is not that good. We are just a few injuries away from disaster. JUST LIKE LAST YEAR. And a quick armed QB could have made plays (Like #13 always did). Mike Pouncy was a great smart first pick. Daniel Thomas was beyond dumb. Not with such a glaring need. Hell I would have loved Mallet in the 2nd position just pushing Henne. Think Tony didn't know that? Thats the last thing he wanted. Tony threw away what could have been the best Miami Dolphin Draft Pick in almost 30 yrs because of his EGO. You heard the players last season. You will hear them again.

I'm sorry brothers.........I'm done expecting too much , so I'm not so dissapointed. Tony Saprano will not be with this Team next season. I'm saying it now. And if they want ticket sales they had better get this Team centered around a personality, a QB that people can believe in. Don Shula knew that. Didn't matter who he drafted , who was coaching , as long as He had Dan he had fans. Excitement, HOPE. Chad Henne Folks. CHAD F***ing Henne. And this Oline.

Don't anyone here dare call me NOT a true Fan. I'll be there Monday night PERSONALLY cheering them on. But there comes a time when that abused beaten wife says enough. Enough already. Eddie Moore? Ted Ginn? Daniel Thomas!? Enough. sorry..........enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2011 05:50AM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Date: September 10, 2011 05:58AM

At this point Sparano, Ireland, Henne, Thomas, et al deserve the benefit of the doubt IMO. If they put a great product on the field and win this opening game it will go a long way to healing a lot of open wounds.

I don’t expect Ireland to hit on every pick, and I don’t expect Sparano to be the second coming of Shula. But in Y4 this regime OWNS the product on the field. And the fan base is pretty jaded at this point and definitely not into “ another year of mediocrity rebuilding.”

Ireland / Sparano took a HUGE RISK by not drafting a QB – and we can only hope that move was a smart one. Historically, it’s hard to see that right now, but they’re obviously betting the farm on Henne.

Bottom line, the real truth will play out on the field – and the results (or lack thereof) are just around the corner.

BNF.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2011 06:00AM by BigNastyFish.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.