HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Dolphins-Cowboys
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Dolphins-Cowboys
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: September 01, 2011 05:37PM

Some observations.

Matt Moore doesn't have a very strong arm. He had a nice night, but not counting Tom Brandstater, both teams combined for just 6 incompletions all night. So, there were lots of passes completed by everyone. He should have had a pick-6 but the defender dropped it. Hit Gates for a 42 yarder. It was a bit underthrown, could have been a much longer TD.

Daniel Thomas ran well. When he has holes, I think he looks fine.

Larry Johnson looked just ok, outside of his 22 yard TD, which was very nice.

Lex Hilliard played FB all night, and did a really nice job. He made two blocks on Johnson's TD run. Polite didn't play, which would make it seem like he is a lock for the roster. But, with Hilliard's versatility, could Polite be expendable if they get into a roster crunch trying to keep an extra player somewhere else?

Brian Hartline looked good. Wallace had a couple short catches, and Moore had a 22 yarder. Livas caught a 16 yarder on a quick slant. Livas had to fair catch every punt tonight, so never got a chance to show any more in the return game.

Jeron Mastrud had an 18 yard TD catch. Since no one has stepped up at TE, it will be interesting to see who they keep behind Fasano.

The o-line played pretty well. Ray Feinga started at LT, and then moved to LG. Nate Garner started at LG, moved to LT, and then moved to C. Ray Willis, who has started 26 NFL games at RT, did a very nice job. I just don't see how John Jerry makes this team. He was better tonight, and seemed to be hustling more, but he's still not as good as other guys on the roster. Murtha seems like a lock if he is healthy. Garner is a lock for his versatility. With Colombo looking so bad, I don't see how they can cut a veteran backup like Willis. That would leave likely one roster spot. And if Feinga is versatile enought to play T and G, and we know Berger can play G and C, how does Jerry make it over either of those guys?

Phillip Merling looked good. Fields appears to be the backup NT. And Ryan "The Amoeba" Baker will make the team, IMO.

Trusnik had a couple of nice pass rushes. Edds looked good. Marvin Mitchell appears to be better than Spitler, if a roster spot comes down to one of them. Quinton Spears had back to back sacks late in the game.

Will Allen is a better player right now than Nolan Carroll. Do they roll the dice that he will stay healthy, and let a young guy with some upside go? Alexander made a couple of tackles. Wilson has ups and downs, but no way do they risk exposing him on waivers. Clemons and Jones both played in the game, with Jones starting. Not sure who is ahead in that battle. Jones had a really nice play in run support on a reverse where he covered a lot of ground to make the play.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dolphins-Cowboys
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: September 02, 2011 11:04AM

I think Jerry would have been in the first cuts if this was a regular preseason. His health and shape at start of camp was attrocious, and that is what pissed off SParano last year... Something special has to happen for him to make the team or do they like youth so much and give him another year? I dont think so, just because he has lacked the discipline.

I would agree that Polite could be expendable. But it was odd they didnt give him a chance last night. Maybe they like Polite and justify Clay both because of Clays versatility. Bush, Thomas,Hilliard, Johnson are the RB's. I think we will carry one less TE behind Fasano, becasue of Clay, if Polite makes the roster.

I think Carroll, makes the team, he is a better special teams players, as well as youth. An early Sophmore slump shouldnt push him out just yet. Although the surpise play of Jimmy Wilson int make the decision easy for the coaches on Carroll. But I think ultimately the should both make the team. Mainly because we need them both on special teams.

I think Jones is in the lead, because of his play making ability. If Jones blows it Clemons will go in quick. Jones can make things happen, Clemons is more consistent at this point... They want the guy who can make things happen, at least until something bad happens. They want turnovers

Does Livas make it? What about WR Moore? And Spears, Do they make the team?
The guy that I thought impressed me alot in the other games, was Burnett, he played really well.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: September 02, 2011 02:36PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think Jerry would have been in the first cuts if
> this was a regular preseason. His health and shape
> at start of camp was attrocious, and that is what
> pissed off SParano last year... Something special
> has to happen for him to make the team or do they
> like youth so much and give him another year?

I think they have at least 10 guys better than Jerry.

> I would agree that Polite could be expendable. But
> it was odd they didnt give him a chance last
> night.

Why? What could they possibly have learned about Polite, playing against second string Cowboys, that they didn't already know? I think it was all about evaluating Hilliard as an option in that role.

>
> I think Carroll, makes the team, he is a better
> special teams players, as well as youth.

Ireland and Sparano are in "win now" mode. Youth is no longer as important. Think about how Nolan used the dime last year. He had Al Harris take Smith's spot, with Smith moving over to safety to take away a team's best TE. Now, who would be better in that Al Harris role, Carroll or Allen? If Allen is healthy, it's not even a contest.

Date: September 02, 2011 04:16PM

I think Vontae Davis, Sean Smith, Will Allen, Benny Sapp, Nolan Carroll and Jimmy Wilson all make the team

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 03, 2011 04:29AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> I think Vontae Davis, Sean Smith, Will Allen,
> Benny Sapp, Nolan Carroll and Jimmy Wilson all
> make the team

Just one thing......If benny sapp is going to make the team then will allen better make the team....

Right now at his age will allen is an impact player i thibk he could be deadly in the slot...

IMO Will allen is just too valuable to be cut. I would take my chances with him. Even if he is injury prone.....I think he is near 100 percent though...

Date: September 03, 2011 04:58AM

Will Allen did look good when he out jumped the WR reciever in the endzone and swatted the ball up which lead to and INT for I believe Culver the other night...I agree I would most likely take Allen over Sapp, if health is not an issue

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: September 03, 2011 05:09AM

its allen or carrol, not allen or sapp. sapp is on the team for sure

Posted by: Andy B. ()
Date: September 03, 2011 05:47AM

I thought Sapp was going to be the odd man out. I like Allen and have no problem with Carroll. I'm just not sold on Sapp.

Date: September 03, 2011 05:56AM

I think there is a better then avg chance all three make it, Sapp, Carrol and Allen

Date: September 03, 2011 06:01AM

I just think Allen and Sapp are the 2 highest paid CB's on our team, yet both are number 3 and 4 CB's at best.... I could see the value in keeping a veteran in the secondary and paying for that, but 2 of them, I am not sure about that value... But it appears they are ready to do it. We shall see shortly

Date: September 03, 2011 01:29PM

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 03, 2011 02:12PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> I would agree that Polite could be expendable. But
>
> > it was odd they didnt give him a chance last
> > night.
>
> Why? What could they possibly have learned about
> Polite, playing against second string Cowboys,
> that they didn't already know? I think it was all
> about evaluating Hilliard as an option in that
> role.
>
>
>
> Like I said it was weird they didnt at least give
> Polite a chance to play in the final preseason
> game before cutting him

With Polite being cut, I think Hilliard passed the test!! thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.