HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Here's a thought for our o-line
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Here's a thought for our o-line
Posted by: camaron ()
Date: August 29, 2011 09:20AM

Pro Bowl center Andre Gurode was just cut by Dallas Cowboys.

LT - Long
LG - Incongnito
C - Gurode
RG - Pouncey
RT - Carey or Columbo

Cowboys they couldn't come to terms w/ Gurode. They will be going w/ Costa as their starter at Center position. Gurode was scheduled to make 5mil this year.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Here's a thought for our o-line
Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: August 29, 2011 10:00AM

Pouncey is more Center or Left guard material.

You need a really big guy at RG to crash down on the likes of Wilfork.

It would probably be better w/ Murtha at RT.

Getting Jake Long back in the rotation will be the best thing to happen to this line.

We simply do not have the time to play around.

Posted by: TheFutt ()
Date: August 29, 2011 10:07AM

NO. MORE. DALLAS. CAST-OFFS. PERIOD.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: August 29, 2011 10:23AM

camaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pro Bowl center Andre Gurode was just cut by
> Dallas Cowboys.
>
> LT - Long
> LG - Incongnito
> C - Gurode
> RG - Pouncey
> RT - Carey or Columbo
>
> Cowboys they couldn't come to terms w/ Gurode.
> They will be going w/ Costa as their starter at
> Center position. Gurode was scheduled to make
> 5mil this year.

You wouldn't want to waste Pouncey at RG. RG is the easiest o-line position to play. The RG rarely pulls and rarely ever faces an elite pass rusher. Incognito is not a good pulling guard, and is a much better fit at RG. He spent his whole pro career at RG before he came to Miami, and Miami found out that John Jerry couldn't handle LG, so Incognito was forced there. Pouncey's athleticism would be wasted at RG, so if you move him, it would have to be to LG.

And I just don't know if you can ask Carey to move back to RT. You just cut his pay in half, and basically cut 3 years off his deal. And part of your justification for doing so was telling him that he was no longer a tackle, and was being moved back to G. Carey has been a good guy for the organization. I think if you move him back to RT, you have to give him some hope of recouping some money, maybe with incentive clauses or something.

I know Gurode was bad at G early in his career. And his career took off when moved to C. But, in the 5 seasons since then, isn't it possible that whatever he has learned at C could translate to being a much better G than he was early on? If you could play him at G, at least you could leave Pouncey to develop at C.

Posted by: sleekdogg ()
Date: August 29, 2011 10:58AM

Why pull Pouncey off center where he has been doing well and Henne is doing well and probably starting to develop chemistry?Long is a lock at LT, and Incognito is good at LG. IF Columbo or Carey are the problem maybe replacing them with MUrtha or Garner would solve the issue and wouldn't disrupt the chemistry with the guys doing well. I just don't see shifting everyone right before the season just so we can sign Gurode.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 29, 2011 11:08AM

Berger has been decent at RG in the past. If Carey isn't cutting it, why not put Berger in? As for RT, Murtha may be better than Columbo.

Posted by: moosehound ()
Date: August 29, 2011 01:03PM

Move Pouncey to LG so that we can take advantage of his ablilty to pull move Incognito back to RG play Murtha at RT sign O'Hara or Gurode to play C and keep Carey as backup RT RG

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: August 29, 2011 01:24PM

wow, that's changing 4 positions 2 weeks before the season started. is it any wonder our OL is constantly a mess?

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 29, 2011 03:01PM

Or maybe Carey can just get off his fat ass and lose the weight he gained. Word is he showed up fat and out of shape.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: August 29, 2011 03:10PM

F Pouncy. He's doing fine as a rookie but if we have a chance to upgrade at such a central important posistion , on a O line that is clearly lacking.....UPGRADE. Make pouncy 2nd string or have him earn it. This Oline needs a kick in the ass, maybe this is it.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: August 29, 2011 06:59PM

no, you cant move pouncey. pouncey is just as good right now as those older C's that are coming off knee injuries.

i would say this year we stay pat and see if garner can challenge carey or if murtha can challenge colombo. we have good depth and we should see if garner or murtha has or can develop into starter quality. if anything we should sign Ohara or Gurode and see if they can pull and play LG then have Incognito start at RG with Carey as backup RG/RT. in that scenario, Carey would be pissed so we would probably have to bump up his pay and give him a shot at starting RT. thats 3 position changes though and that is too many. it would be beyond stupid to ruin the oline chemistry the same way as last year. the plus side of having no G's that can pull is that NT should not be a problem since we can crash down on them from LG and RG. this allows us to run a lot of plays left or right where normally certain plays you would run left and certain plays you would run right.

next year though, we should choose Incognito or Carey to play RG, sign or draft a top LG (that can actually pull) and let Colombo loose hoping that Murtha or Garner has stepped up to start there. Otherwise we will have to draft a RT since good OT very rarely hit the FA market.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: August 30, 2011 01:25AM

"I'm all in favor of it."

-Tampa Bay Buccaneer Coach John McKay responding to a question about his team's execution

This quote (my all time favorite sports quote) is a thought for our O-line

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: August 30, 2011 05:06AM

Read in Detroit Donald Thomas might not make the 53 man roster because of the developmen of F/A signee Corey Hilliard. Thimas was the last guy to actually look like he knew what he was doing at RG. Still do not know why we cut him. At DET he is the #1 backup at LG RG and RT of he is available bring him back. I think we need a RG and slip Carey back to RT.

Carey is the best thing going for us on the right side. Sporano really f- this up.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: August 30, 2011 06:11AM

C'mon, we let him go so we could bring in:
- Procter
- Berger
- McQuistan
- and this year, Colombo

Seriously, Dallas has 60% of their line going to the Pro Bowl (Davis, Gurode, Flozelle) and we pick up "the others". I'm certain that familiarity had something to do with it. Perhaps they thought that the backup to a pro-bowl lineman is destined to be better than whoever we have in there.

Whatever, it's spilled milk and ancient history at this point, but I still don't understand turning over the entire interior OL a couple weeks before the regular season. Are we really right there again?

Only hope is that Carey is adjusting and Long's return will stabilize some things.

Date: August 30, 2011 06:11AM

We had just all better hope that we can add a FA RT after roster cuts....one that is good enough to beat out Columbo and Murtha.

And hope Carey gets it together....and Sparano knows what he is talking about and is truly not worried about the o line.

Is anyone buying that statement?

.....................................................................................

Date: August 30, 2011 06:58AM

eesti Wrote:
> We had just all better hope that we can add a FA
> RT after roster cuts

I don't know, the O line is stinky enough!

Date: August 30, 2011 07:02AM

Brian Waters. Brian Waters. Brian Waters.
Why are we not looking at this guy?
Sign him, make him the pulling guard on the R side (or better yet, put him at LG and incog back to RG where he is better suited); move Carey back to RT. Problem solved. I know this is a lot of shuffling before the season but this line lacks talent, in addition to cohesion, as it stands now. Get a vet G in there to show Pouncy the ropes (Carey isn't used to playing next to the C)

I actually thik this is a good lineup

LT Long
LG Waters
C Pouncy
RG Incog
RT Carey

Date: August 30, 2011 07:57AM

what I wouldn't give for a healthy Smiley right now!

Date: August 30, 2011 08:01AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> Brian Waters. Brian Waters. Brian Waters.
> Why are we not looking at this guy?
>
>

According to profootballfocus.com, Waters graded out as the 63rd rated tackle in run blocking. His pass blocking grade was excellent. But, he was quite poor in ruN blocking. Now you can see why KC was willing to cut ties with him, and why no other team has signed him either.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: August 30, 2011 08:16AM

Date: August 30, 2011 09:20AM

dolfanmark Wrote:
> berkeley223 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Brian Waters. Brian Waters. Brian Waters.
> > Why are we not looking at this guy?
> >
> >
>
> According to profootballfocus.com, Waters graded
> out as the 63rd rated tackle in run blocking. His
> pass blocking grade was excellent. But, he was
> quite poor in ruN blocking. Now you can see why KC
> was willing to cut ties with him, and why no other
> team has signed him either.

63 is still probably way better than what we've got in there right now.

Date: August 30, 2011 09:27AM

JC Wrote:
> montequi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > what I wouldn't give for a healthy Smiley right
> > now!
>
>
> Here ya go! free of charge:
>
> smiling smiley

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: August 30, 2011 09:34AM

I think you mean guard but anyway....

Berkeley....lol!

Things we do not know....

1 Has Carey lost something physically that caused the move to guard?

2 same question for Waters, Ohara etc...

3 how is the zone blocking scheme affecting our lineman...do they fit?

4 what does Sparano see in Columbo and the o line that we fans and media do not?

5 why is Incog playing LG instead of RG?

6 why are players that did well last year struggling this year...health issues? Ala Garner etc.

7 why does Omar Kelley think he is a talent evaluator?

Date: August 30, 2011 10:56AM

eesti Wrote:
>
> 4 what does Sparano see in Columbo and the o line
> that we fans and media do not?
>

honestly, I think nothing. I think he is lazy so when it comes to these ex-cowboys he just assumes they are good (who knows, maybe they were 4 years ago when he coached there) and can't come to grips with reality

how else do you explain signing one of the worst RTs in the league the last few years (DAL spent a top 10 pick on OL to replace him) and naming him your starter the same day, with no competiton and moving the starter to a new position?

Date: August 30, 2011 11:33AM

I'm still wondering what's up with Berger. I know he has injury issues, but he's been pretty good at Guard in the past.

Date: August 30, 2011 11:41AM

montequi Wrote:
> I'm still wondering what's up with Berger. I know
> he has injury issues, but he's been pretty good at
> Guard in the past.

I think Berger's value is as a guy who can be a serviceable backup at both C and G. And I don't think that moving Carey back to RT is an option. I think they've bit the bullet on that, and they are going to stick with that decision. I think you'll see Ray Willis or Lydon Murtha at RT before they'll move Carey there. I don't think they are going to change anything, except possibly give Willis or Murtha a shot at RT if Colombo's struggles carry into the regular season.

Date: August 30, 2011 01:14PM

I would like to see PFF ratings that compare Columbo to Carey in pass pro and rushing...

Do you now have to pay to view stats on PFF?

Date: August 30, 2011 03:15PM

eesti Wrote:
> I would like to see PFF ratings that compare
> Columbo to Carey in pass pro and rushing...
>
> Do you now have to pay to view stats on PFF?

Pass blocking
Carey +0.5
Colombo -25.0

Run Blocking
Carey -0.3
Colombo -8.1

Clearly, they are remembering when Colombo was a solid player a few years ago. Because, in 2010, Carey was clearly the better tackle.

Date: August 30, 2011 03:53PM

I remember when Keith Sims was a good OG. Let's sign him too

Date: August 30, 2011 04:23PM

Whats Richmound Webb doing these days? smiling bouncing smiley

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.